Two Sisters: A Story of Freedom
TITLE: TWO SISTERS: THE STORY OF FREEDOM
- Publisher : Scholastic; 1st edition (4 Mar. 2021)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 192 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0702301841
- ISBN-13 : 978-0702301841
- Reading age : 8 - 12 years
- Dimensions : 13.6 x 1.3 x 19.9 cm
In this heart-stopping adventure based on real historical events, Kereen Getten takes readers on a journey of sisterhood, struggle and survival from Jamaica to Britain.
'She was rarely afraid, and even if she was … she still stood her ground, because Ruth never faltered in what she believed in.'
Ruth and Anna are inseparable.
- Ruth has always known her half-sister isn't like her – her almost-white skin means she is allowed certain things that Ruth can only dream of.
- Anna wishes she could be braver, like her sister, Ruth. But she has had to live with the fact that the smallest mistake would land not only her in danger, but Ruth and their mother, too.
When Ruth and Anna are shipped off to Master John's home in London for their safety, it isn't the haven they imagined. Their differences force them apart – Anna is allowed to stay upstairs while Ruth is banished to the servants' quarters and is forced to work.
With whispers of freedom on the city's streets, will Anna find the courage to stand up for Ruth before it's too late?
VOICES: A thrilling series showcasing some of the UK's finest writers for young people. Voices reflects the authentic, unsung stories of our past. Each shows that, even in times of great upheaval, a myriad of people have arrived on this island and made a home for themselves – from Roman times to the present day.