The Fastest Boy in The World
TITLE: THE FASTEST BOY IN THE WORLD
- Paperback:176 pages
- Age Range:7 - 9 years
- Publisher:Macmillan Children's Books; Main Market edition (5 Jun. 2014)
- Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 1.3 x 20.3 cm
- Eleven-year-old Solomon loves to run! The great athletes of the Ethiopian national team are his heroes and he dreams that one day he will be a gold-medal-winning athlete like them, in spite of his ragged shorts and bare feet.
- When his grandfather announces that he's going to take Solomon to Addis Ababa, Solomon cannot believe his ears. A trip to the capital? It's unfathomable. Solomon's joy is increased when he realizes that the Ethiopian running team will be doing a victory parade through the city that day. Maybe he'll get a glimpse of Haile Gebrselassie or Derartu Tulu?!
- But Solomon's grandfather has other plans. As Solomon follows him through the big, overwhelming streets, he learns something he cannot believe. The strict old man is a war hero who once risked his life to save a friend and has been in hiding ever since. When grandfather collapses, Solomon knows that getting help from his village is up to him. It's a twenty-mile run from the city to home, and grandfather's life hangs in the balance. Can the small bare-footed runner with the big heart do it?
- Shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal, The Fastest Boy in the Worldby Elizabeth Laird is the inspiring story of a small Ethiopian runner with a very big heart.