The Story of Afro Hair
TITLE: THE STORY OF AFRO HAIR
- Publisher : Scholastic; 1st edition (7 Oct. 2021)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 128 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0702307416
- ISBN-13 : 978-0702307416
- Reading age : 7 - 12 years
- Dimensions : 13.6 x 1.6 x 18.4 cm
Explore the incredible history of Afro hair.
The Story of Afro Hair celebrates the fashion and styles of Afro hair over the last 5,000 years.From plaits to the Gibson Girl, cornrows to locks, the hi-top fade to funki dreds, The Story of Afro Hair is the ultimate book of Afro hairstories.
Kicking off with an explanation of how Afro hair type grows and why, The Story of Afro Hair then takes us right back to the politics and fashion of Ancient Egypt.
Speeding forwards to modern times we experience the Kingdom of Benin, Henry VIII's court, the enslavement of African peoples, the Harlem Renaissance, the beginnings of Rastafarianism, Britain in the 1980s – and much more.
- With vibrant full colour illustrations by Joelle Avelino.
- A sparkling gold foil hardback cover – the perfect gift for anyone interested in culture, fashion and history.
- With profiles of inspirational key figures in the Afro hair beauty industry, such as Sara Spencer Washington, Madam CJ Walker, Viola Desmond, Lincoln Dyke, Dudley Dryden and Anthony Wad